Wednesday, February 20, 2019

A conversation with NEXT TO NORMAL's Amy Jo Halliday

Amy Jo Halliday in Arizona Regional Theatre's production of Next to Normal
photo by Arona Spader / JALT Media
by Gil Benbrook

Amy Jo Halliday grew up in Mesa, went to ASU and found herself, at 20 years old, as the youngest woman ever cast in the main female role of Christine in Andrew Lloyd Webber's hit musical The Phantom of the Opera.

After living for 20 years in Portland with her husband and four children, and working for various theatre companies in town, Halliday is back in the Valley and making her return the Phoenix stages playing Diana in Arizona Regional Theatre's production of Next to Normal.

After a busy week of final rehearsals and opening the show, Halliday sat down to answer some questions about the show, her past and why Next to Normal is a show that must be seen.

Next to Normal is a Pulitzer Prize and Tony winning musical, but for someone who's never seen this show, or heard of it, what would you tell them it's about?

"It is about a family who is reeling from the effects of the matriarch's bipolar disorder.  It is a show about how her mental illness affects her and her family. "

What can you tell us about the character you play, Diana?

"Diana is a very intricate character.  She is wife, mother, daughter....and not doing any of these very well.  She lives with bipolar disorder, and is struggling to maintain a "normal" existence. "

Why did you want to play this part?

"I am a mother of 4.  I am a wife and a daughter.  I am an auntie.  Every woman I know struggles daily to stay afloat and to live up to unreachable expectations.  Diana tells the story of every woman and their struggles (whatever they may be) to maintain normality.  Diana is a woman of truth - and I wanted to tell her story. "

How did things you learned in the rehearsal process change the way you view Diana?

"Our director brought in two mental health experts who are living and thriving with bipolar disorder.  From these two women, I learned many things about what living with bipolar looks like.  I was educated on what manic and depressive states look like.  Through the lives of these 2 women, I was able to believe that what Diana was experiencing was TRUTH to her.  It wasn't an act.  It was real.  This changed my idea and portrayal of Diana."

Amy as Christine in The Phantom of the Opera
You played Christine DaaƩ in the national tour of The Phantom of the Opera. What was the audition process like in order to win such a plum part? And what was that experience like playing such an iconic role in a blockbuster show?

"I went to a 'cattle call' in Los Angeles!  I read about the call in Backstage, and decided to attend knowing that I was perfect for Christine.  A few weeks later I was asked to come to New York to do another audition.  After that audition, I was offered the Christine Understudy, and 3 months later I was moved to the main Christine in the National Tour.  I loved it!  It was a dream come true for me.  I was only 20.  I was the youngest Christine they had ever hired.  The costumes, the wigs, the shoes, the other singers....all were amazing!"

I believe you grew up, or went to school, in Mesa before moving away. What brought you back to the Valley?

"I did!  I grew up in Mesa and went to Mesa High.  After Phantom, I made a conscious decision to not go to New York.  I did not like living on the road, and knew that I would be living in New York only to get work outside of New York.  So, my husband and I decided to go to Portland to finish graduate school.  We loved it so much that we stayed for 20 years.  I had a very busy performance calendar and LOVED the companies and people that I worked for in Portland.  Sadly, I have bad asthma, and the air and mold in Oregon were terrible for my lungs.  After many years of  my breathing getting worse and worse, we decided to come back to Phoenix to see if the dry air could help my lungs.  We have only been here a few months, but my breathing is already improving!"

Is this your first role in a show in the Valley since moving back?

"It is!  My first audition and my first role. "

What's your favorite moment in Next to Normal?

"Hmmmmm.....  today my favorite was the song "Better than before".  I love getting to connect with Andy (Dan) and Kendra (Natalie) during this song.  This is the one time in the show that I really get to smile and be genuinely happy and hopeful."

Amy Jo Halliday
This show focuses on the impact that mental illness and grief has on a family. What type of research did you do in order to relate to the material in the show?

"I read A LOT!  I also have a nephew that is bipolar schizophrenic, and so I talked to his mother (my sister) about his behaviors. "

What do you hope audiences will take away from seeing this production?

"I hope that they will be moved to put their arms around their neighbors.  I hope they will be moved to educate themselves on mental illness.  I hope they will talk about what they have learned."

Why should people go and see it?

"People should come and see our show because our cast is DANG GOOD!!  We love working together, and it shows.  We are honest and raw and real."

CLICK HERE for more information on this production, which runs through February 24th

1 comment:

  1. Amy I saw the play last Saturday and you were perfect. I lost a son 15 years ago and your portrayal of the mom was spot on. Usually when I see something dealing with child loss or mental illness, it just doesn't seem real. Thank you so much, all of you, for showing the real life of mental illness.

    ReplyDelete

In order to avoid spam, comments will be moderated. Anonymous comments no longer will be allowed. If your comment is from an actual person it will be approved and posted in a timely manner.