Friday, July 6, 2018

a conversation with Broadway performer Eloise Kropp, the choreographer and co-star of Scottsdale Musical Theater Company's 42ND STREET

by Gil Benbrook

Up and coming Broadway performer Eloise Kropp recently appeared as the frisky feline Jennyanydots in the Broadway revival of Cats. But she also has a vast experience of performing in classic "Golden Age" musicals such as On the Town, Dames at Sea, Little Me and The Most Happy Fella - all of which she appeared in either in their Broadway revivals or in semi-staged  concert versions of the shows at New York's City Center Encores.

Kropp is putting her knowledge and experience of performing in these beloved Broadway musical comedies to good use as she comes to Phoenix to appear in and choreograph Scottsdale Musical Theater Company's production of the classic musical 42nd Street.

For anyone who has seen a production of this cherished show they know that it is a tap heavy musical and the experience of seeing and hearing the sound made by dozens of tapping feet while such memorable songs as "We're In the Money," "Shuffle Off to Buffalo," "Lullaby of Broadway" and the title song are sung is a truly thrilling, charming and nostalgic experience.

While Kropp has been in town for a few weeks now and has been very busy as she rehearses the cast in the choreography of the dance heavy show, she took a few minutes to sit down and answer some questions about the musical, her approach to creating the dance steps for this production, and what she hopes audiences will take away from the Scottsdale Musical Theater Company production.

For someone who doesn’t know the show, what would you tell them 42nd Street is about?

"It’s the classic story about a small town girl coming to New York to try and make it big! It goes on her journey from starting in the chorus, and then replacing the star! It’s the story everyone knows and loves!"

How do you prepare when you're stepping into a show in this capacity, and specifically how did you prepare for 42nd Street?

"This is a huge show, and one that is very dance heavy! Because I’m not only choreographing it I’m also in it I have had to approach it from two different ways. From the choreographer's perspective, I had to do a lot of research - about the show, about what the show was inspired by, popular dances of the time period, and also just styles of dance that would of been used during this time period. I also watched different productions of the show because I wanted the show to have the “essence” of the original and revival since people know the show so well and it is such an iconic theatre piece. So I wanted to make sure as a choreographer, I was still honoring and respecting the original Gower Champion choreography from the original and Randy Skinner’s take on it with the revival.

And from the performers side, I had to really take apart the script and discover who my character really was. What part does she play in the story and what is her story behind the story? I also needed to make sure I was in great physical condition so I can make it through the challenging long tap sequences with ease!"

How did you approach creating the tap numbers for 42nd Street and then communicating that to the cast?

"I have a unique style of tap that sort of is this old school style with some influence from more street/hoofer style so I really wanted to play with the idea of putting that into the show. I really listened to the music and broke it down and decided what rhythms I wanted to play with and what really spoke to me. I also really wanted to make sure it all made sense story wise as well. I always want to make sure I’m not just doing steps for steps! So I spent a lot of time just with the music and then I would get in the studio and start with steps and rhythms. I like to listen to the music and then come up with a short phrase. Then do the phrase, see how it feels, edit it, do it again...etc etc. With tap you really have to choreograph every little moment because you have metal on your feet so every time you step you make a sound! It’s been a really fun challenge!"

What are you looking forward to most about performing in Arizona? Have you performed here before or have any connection to the Valley?

"I’ve not! This is actually my second time here. My aunt and uncle lived here for a short time, but moved away about 2 years ago. So I’m happy to be back and make some more connections in the Valley!"

Any favorite moment in the show?

"I love the moment that Annie has with Peggy before the big ballet! She has a big speech about how this isn’t just about Peggy stepping up it’s about Peggy representing every single person who has ever been in the chorus. I love this little speech because if anyone has ever seen a show you know the ensemble members are the unsung heroes of the show, so to have that said out-loud is really special."

What do you need with you when you're on the road or performing out-of-town?

"This varies performer to performer! I make sure I have all the dance shoes I need, my foam roller, and my steamer. Those are the things I’ll NEVER travel without! "

What do you hope audiences will take away from seeing 42nd Street?

"I hope it will take audiences back to the old movie musicals! I hope it will inspire them to go home and pull out Singin' in the Rain, Footlight Parade and more! "

CLICK HERE for more information on 42nd Street, which runs through July 15th

No comments:

Post a Comment

In order to avoid spam, comments will be moderated. Anonymous comments no longer will be allowed. If your comment is from an actual person it will be approved and posted in a timely manner.