Friday, April 6, 2018

An In-Depth Conversation with the Cast of Desert Foothills Theater's IN THE HEIGHTS

by Monica Sampson

The Tony award-winning musical Hamilton might be all the rage right now, especially in how it incorporated rap music into the style of traditional musical theatre, but for many theater fans, the musical In the Height holds the title of the founding father of rap musicals.

With music and lyrics by Lin-Manuel Miranda, In the Heights explores the life of a Hispanic-American neighborhood of Washington Heights in New York City.

Now, that spicy story is being told in Arizona, as Desert Foothills Theater puts on a production of the Tony winning musical.

Although originally set in New York, the show's overall universal themes present issues that the Arizona Latinax culture might relate to as well, dealing with issues of identity, and freedom through passionate songs and rap.

We asked members of the cast questions about the show, their characters, and the process of making this showstopper come to life.

Jonny Ramirez as "Usnavi"
Photo by Jeremy Andorfer of Vangelis Productions
Jonny Ramirez (Usnavi)

Tell us a little about yourself and the character you play in the show. 

"I play the character Usnavi, a fun and slightly awkward character, who finds his purpose and what really matters to him through the progression of the story that is being told. This character is unlike any other because not only is he based on a real person, this character stands for millions of people in this world, and I am incredibly blessed to have the opportunity to represent. "

The name Lin-Manuel-Miranda and Hamilton have become household names, but a lot of people don't know that Lin wrote In the Heights. What was your personal experience with finding this show?
 
"MANY people know of Hamilton, and it is usually what I bring up when explaining to people what production I am currently in. With In The Heights I had a different approach as I was introduced through my fiancée, Megan Farinella. She had been obsessed with this show since it first came out, and upon meeting me later in life, she had mentioned it and told me how much I would enjoy the music and the story! Like always, she was right. "

For those that don't know anything about In the Heights what could you tell them? 

"I would tell them how this story represents Latin-American culture through the salsa style beats and gritty rapping that tells you the story. This show is a party, but does tell the ups and downs of people living in the barrio in NYC. If people love a story they can relate to, this is one of them."

The characters you're playing are loosely based off real characters, and real-life situations, what did you do as an actor to bring that character to life? 

"In all honesty, to prepare for this role, I watched tons of videos of Lin-Manuel specifically to get the mannerisms and speaking patterns. Even though I did this, I do like to take my own artistic approach. I understand that this character is loosely based off of a real life person, but no two people are the same, and no two people would tell the same story. The rap is set to tell the story and the person will deliver the story differently every-time."

You will be performing in the round, how did you adjust your acting for this type of setting verses a traditional proscenium stage?

"In order to perform in the round, I had to do a lot of work on my acting movements. In theatre, we are taught to act to one direction, as the audience is facing us from one side only. In the round, this is not the case. Being able to perform in the round has been such a learning process, but an intimate one. If I were to do a small gesture towards one side of the audience, the other sides may have missed it and get a different story for themselves, and this is the beauty of live theatre. I do feel that this story, with the community feeling it is supposed to give, does extremely well in the round."

This show is very dance, and singing intensive, what did you do to prepare? 

"In The Heights is a very physically demanding show. Just as any performance, one has to be prepared for a marathon every run of the show. Theatre is tough, but it takes work to make something so difficult appear so simple. The amount of time spent personally working on one’s body is what this takes. For this show specifically, I had to run on the treadmill a lot. Usnavi raps. A LOT. Since Usnavi raps a lot, this role requires a lot of heavy and controlled breathing, and running was highly beneficial."

What are your favorite lyrics in the show, and why? 

"My favorite lyrics from the show are Usnavi’s lines 'I worked with what they gave me, okay.' I have taken these words outside of the theatre and implemented the positivity towards anything that comes my way, and have tried my hardest to make it work. "



Sonia Rodriguez Wood as Abuela Claudia
Photo by Jeremy Andorfer of Vangelis Productions
Sonia Rodriguez Wood (Abuela Claudia)

Tell us a little about yourself and the character you play in the show. 

"I’m a Nuyorican. Born in Queens, NY where my parents had emigrated to from Puerto Rico in the 60’s. I grew up in South Jersey and Central Florida, where I started doing Community Theater in High School. I’ve lived in the valley for a little over 20 years now. I’m happily married and have 2 grown daughters. Abuela is the matriarch of the neighborhood. She raised Usnavi after his parents died and is the pseudo grandmother to the other children in the neighborhood. She watches out for them, feeds them and loves them like they are her own."

The name Lin-Manuel-Miranda and Hamilton have become household names, but a lot of people don't know that Lin wrote In the Heights. What was your personal experience with finding this show?

"I remember learning that Karen Olivo was going to be starring in the revival of West Side Story. I’d met the Olivio’s when my family moved from South Jersey to Central Florida my Sophomore year of High School. Her father had introduced me to the local community theater and I’d hung out with Karen’s older sister since we were about the same age. I started looking up what Karen had been doing in theater and learned that she had played Vanessa, in In The Heights. I went to YouTube looking for songs and the first I found was a video of the recording of the Original Broadway Cast album. They were singing the song '96,000' and panning the camera back and forth to all the singers. Seeing all the Latinix faces made me start weeping. I fell in love with it right then and there and new I had to be part of telling this story someday."

For those that don't know anything about In the Heights what could you tell them? 

"Be ready to want to jump out of your seat and join in the dancing, but bring your tissues too because we’re going to tug on your heartstrings! This story is about sharing our stories, our culture, our music and our love for each other. Yes, there’s a lot of rap and hip-hop but these are great story telling mediums and if you listen closely, you’ll learn a lot about us."

The characters you're playing are loosely based off real characters, and real-life situations, what did you do as an actor to bring that character to life? 

"I had a few Cuban 'Abuelas' when I was little. I thought about them a lot and the tiny kindnesses they would express. For instance, I remember one that was babysitting me when my mom was in the hospital giving birth to one of my sisters. Back then, Mothers would spend a few days to a week in the hospital. I was 12 years old. This Abuela sat and taught me how to crochet a little change purse to carry my coins in. So, after I was cast, I sat myself down with some bright pink yarn and made a little hat. Little things like that reminded me how sweet and patient they all were with me.'

Even though the show is set in New York, a lot of the Latinx culture is just as strong in Arizona, how do you think Arizona audiences will relate to this show?

"I think like most art it really depends on where you’re coming from. At a high level I believe everyone can relate to it from a perspective of the family you're born into, the family you make throughout your life journeys and community you build and contribute to. Enjoying the little things in life with the people you love. On a little deeper level I think that other Latinix audience members will relate to the common issues that Latinx people deal with, like being the first in your family to go to college or Colorism. Discrimination based on skin color within your own race. "

You will be performing in the round, how did you adjust your acting for this type of setting verses a traditional proscenium stage?

"I have been lucky enough to have worked in the round, here in the valley, probably more often than in proscenium.  So, I’ve learned a lot from many great directors. I was able to pull from those experiences and even share some with my cast mates. Like “back acting” for example. Your back is inevitably going to be facing someone in the audience. You have to think of what they are seeing and what you are telling them. I know it probably sounds silly, but those are the kinds of things you have to be aware of."

This show is very dance, and singing intensive, what did you do to prepare? 

"I attended a dance workshop that was put on by United Colours of Arizona Theatre (UCAT). It’s thanks to them that this Abuela can hip-hop."

What are your favorite lyrics in the show, and why? 

'A crowded city with faces the same as mine.'

"My early years were spent around many people of color. I attended a Spanish speaking church, which was mostly attended by Puerto Ricans like our family. My neighborhood and private school was full of kids that looked like me. I didn’t realize until I was older and switched to public schools, and later moved to Central Florida how it felt to be the minority and how cruel kids could be just because you looked different. Moving to Arizona I again felt that sense of community with people that looked and spoke like I did. It’s a very safe and happy feeling. "

What has been your favorite part of working on this show? 

"Working with '¡Mi gente!' My people. It’s rare to have the opportunity to work with a cast of predominantly Latinx actors in a MUSICAL in Phoenix. I think we’ve all reveled in every moment of it. It’s a true joy to get to share our stories with the local community."


Issie Ocampo as "Nina"
Photo by Jeremy Andorfer of Vangelis Productions
Issie Ocampo (Nina)

Tell us a little about yourself and the character you play in the show.

"I have been doing theatre for a good couple of years now, however just recently started doing shows around the valley for about two years. I currently attend Phoenix College, majoring in Theatre. I do a little bit of uke playing and I am just always trying to improve on my own time! The character I play in this show is Nina Rosario. Nina has just come back from college to visit her family for the summer. However, has the difficult task of confessing a secret that she has been keeping from those she loves. Even though she has always faced adversity, she is resilient and smart, having worked to get scholarships to get out of the barrio. I feel that even though she's faced with this struggle, she is nothing but brave and shows nothing but love for those around her.

The name Lin-Manuel-Miranda and Hamilton have become household names, but a lot of people don't know that Lin wrote In the Heights. What was your personal experience with finding this show?

"I didn't really know much about this show, although I had always heard so many good things about it. I was a big of Hamilton, so that was my introduction to Lin Manuel Miranda's work. It wasn't until I was finishing a run of Spelling Bee at PVCC back in the summer, that a good friend told me about the show and how I should definitely audition. So I had been practicing and listening to the music since then to really know what the show was about and to actually understand all the hype. I definitely see the correlation between Hamilton and In the Heights both in score and book. One thing I truly admire about In the Heights is Lin Manuel Miranda telling the story of latinx people with latinx people. And now I just absolutely love this show, it is definitely one of my favorites.

For those that don't know anything about In the Heights what could you tell them? 

The show all in itself is about love,family, and cultural acceptance. It's about a group of people in a small neighborhood in New York. Each of them have their struggles and choices that they are faced with throughout the show. Not only that, but it is all done with some sick rap and latin music!

The characters you're playing are loosely based off real characters, and real-life situations, what did you do as an actor to bring that character to life?

I do definitely feel that acting isn't my strongest suit. However, Nina is a character I can definitely relate to. Whether it be with school, family issues, or relationships. As similar as we both are, there are definitely differences. As an actor I had to really figure out what her intentions are and how she really felt. Ricky really helped me cut down scenes one by one and figure out, "how does she feel right now?", "Why would she say this line", things like that. And I'm so immensely thankful for those one on one moments with him to really get to understand where Nina is coming from.

Even though the show is set in New York, a lot of the Latinx culture is just as strong in Arizona, how do you think Arizona audiences will relate to this show?

I feel that just because this story takes place in New York, it doesn't necessarily separate family issues or things that could happen in each family household. I feel that Arizona audiences will relate to the culture being portrayed in this show. Although its about more Puerto Ricans than Mexicans, everything is technically the same. I know the men can relate to the "machismo" that Kevin gives off for a good part of the show. Or could relate to the hard work that Usnavi and Benny do on a daily basis. The ladies could relate to all the "chisme" that goes on and is being told by Daniella from the salon. Carla, played by Bethany Baca, was playing the song "No Me Diga" in the car with her boyfriend, and her boyfriend automatically knew that it took place in the salon, because his mother would always come home with gossip after a visit to a salon. So there are definitely a lot of things that the audience could relate to.

You will be performing in the round, how did you adjust your acting for this type of setting verses a traditional proscenium stage?

Performing in the round is definitely something I am not use to. I just really had to get use to the idea of it being okay to show your back to audiences. When we were rehearsing over at Childsplay, the space was seemingly different, so once we got to the actual space we had to adjust so much. There was a lot that was changed just to make sure we didn't show our backs to one side of the audience for too long. Making eye contact with each side was a big thing too. We are up there telling a story, so we have to make sure we are telling each side of the audience the story.

This show is very dance, and singing intensive, what did you do to prepare?

For one, I really suck at dancing. I honestly don't know how I pulled that off! However, our choreographer, Chelsea is the cutest human on earth and she had no problem going back and teaching us all over again, if and when we needed it. I did of course, have to rehearse the dances on my own time and when I didn't know a part, i'd ask anyone in the cast and they would help. For singing, I spent some time with Mario, our singing instructor, and Titus, our pianist. They really helped me figure out how to control my voice and keep it constant till the end. Since Nina's songs are really belt-heavy and high, it was definitely a challenge. They showed me how to use my head voice and transition from belt to head, which I'm not going lie, is still a struggle. But I definitely noticed a difference from the beginning. It was really just a lot of rehearsing on my own and remembering everything they taught me.

What are your favorite lyrics in the show, and why? 

One of my favorite lyrics in the show is "When you have a problem you come home, you don't go off and make matters worse on your own." This song in general really got to me just because of the things i've gone through growing up. It's super easy to forget that when you feel you don't have someone to talk to, you'll always have your parents. There were times when I thought I could do something on my own, and that definitely wasn't the case. I feel that parents know best, and when you need advice, they'll always be there. Another lyric I really like is Usnavi's when he says "I worked with what they gave me okay". My parents didn't have a lot growing up. And that's an understatement. I am proud of them. Incredibly proud. They've gone through so much. And growing up, we lacked things, but they never forgot to teach me morals and what's right from wrong. They taught me all about God's love and to love each and every person, and there's nothing better than that. One last one, I just really like Vanessa's "It won't be long now". There's so much power to that one line. She's holding on for something greater and I feel that so am I. I want to fly away to something better and do better for not only myself, but for my family.

What has been your favorite part of working on this show?

Absolutely everything! This cast has been family since day one. I know that's probably said by everyone ever in every cast. But it's true. I missed the first day of rehearsals and when I got there for the second rehearsals, everyone welcomed me with open arms. We also had a huge bonding moment at the end of those rehearsals and we all talked about how blessed we are to be apart of this show. There might have been tears involved. I think one major thing I love about working on this show is the fact that it's a group of ethnic people finally being able to tell our story and being proud to do so. We are all so proud and we all just love each other so much. I feel incredibly blessed to be apart of this production.


Amanda Glenn as "Vanessa"
Photo by Jeremy Andorfer of Vangelis Productions
Amanda Glenn (Vanessa)

The name Lin-Manuel-Miranda and Hamilton have become household names, but a lot of people don't know that Lin wrote In the Heights. What was your personal experience with finding this show?

"I’ve heard people talk about this show for a decade, and was told time and time again that I needed to get familiar with the material. But I had been out of the theater scene for quite some time and never took the initiative to sit down and listen to the OBC recording.  About 6 months ago, after finding out DFT was doing In the Heights, I finally downloaded and listened to it from start to finish.  With having heard strictly the music alone (no scenes, no visuals, just music) I found myself completely caught up in the story of this tight-knit community. By the Finale, I was a blubbering mess and I knew I needed to be a part of this production. The fact that their struggles are so relatable makes this show gripping and raw and real."

The characters you're playing are loosely based off real characters, and real-life situations, what did you do as an actor to bring that character to life?

"This role has been a tough one for me.  I’ve never spent so much time delving in to a character before. Usually I can find similarities between myself and the character and use that as foundation to build upon.  However, Vanessa and I are wildly different.  I joke that Vanessa wouldn’t be caught dead in anything I have in my personal wardrobe.  For a while I grappled with if and when to allow parts of my own personality to come through.  Our brilliant and generous director, Ricky Araiza, and I had several discussions throughout the rehearsal process. He helped me work through it while still allowing me the freedom to make my own choices. There is a certain air that Vanessa puts on as a way to shield herself.  But ultimately, just like me, Vanessa is simply human…with problems and insecurities of her own. "

Even though the show is set in New York, a lot of the Latinx culture is just as strong in Arizona, how do you think Arizona audiences will relate to this show?

"While there is no doubt that the Latinx culture is a huge part of this show, it is just as much about community, the family you’re given, and the family you choose. "

You will be performing in the round, how did you adjust your acting for this type of setting verses a traditional proscenium stage?

"I’ve never done a show in the round before.  I used to steer clear of it because the unknowns of it scared me.  However, I was lucky enough to be able to see the Broadway revival of Once on this Island in December which was beautifully done in the round.  Similar to In the Heights, it is a community telling a story and I found that the layout allows for the removal of the 4th wall and invites the audience into the story rather than remaining passive viewers of it.  So the prospect of telling this story in the round suddenly became very exciting to me.  I honestly don’t feel like I’ve needed to adjust as much as I thought I would for performing in the round.  It’s really quite freeing! There isn’t just ONE direction to play to anymore. Every audience member is going to see a slightly different show simply because of their vantage point, and that fascinates me!"

This show is very dance, and singing intensive, what did you do to prepare?

"United Colours of Arizona Theatre (UCAT) has smart enough to arrange and Phoenix Theater was kind enough to host a few dance classes prior to auditions for In the Heights.  These classes were my first salsa and hip hop classes.  They kicked my tush, but were a great way to become more comfortable with styles of dance that are a prominent part of this show. "

What are your favorite lyrics in the show, and why?

'Maybe you’re right, Sonny, call in the coroners!
Maybe we’re powerless, a corner full of foreigners
Maybe this neighborhood’s changing forever
Maybe tonight is our last night together, however!
How do you want to face it?
Do you wanna waste it, when the end is so close you can taste it?
Y’all could cry with your head in the sand
I’m a fly this flag that I got in my hand!'

"I’m not really sure what it is about this moment in the show that gives me chills every time I hear it.  Maybe because it’s the first time we see the whole neighborhood finally (if only momentarily) shed their troubles and bask in the joy and pride they have in their heritage and community?"

What has been your favorite part of working on this show?

"Working with this cast and creative team is hands down my favorite part of this show.  We have been a family since day one and I genuinely love and care about every one of them.  The material is fantastic, but the passion and heart coming from each and every member of this team is what makes this show truly beautiful."

CLICK HERE for more information on this production, which runs through April 15th

No comments:

Post a Comment

In order to avoid spam, comments will be moderated. Anonymous comments no longer will be allowed. If your comment is from an actual person it will be approved and posted in a timely manner.