Monday, September 7, 2015

PHX Stages Q/A: Alex Gonzalez

by Gil Benbrook

Arizona native Alex Gonzalez has been performing throughout the Valley for over 30 years, but you could say that Fountain Hills Theater is his home. Gonzalez currently stars as French plantation owner Emile de Becque in Fountain Hills Theater's production of South Pacific. running through September 20th. This production marks the beginning of Gonzalez' 25th season with Fountain Hills, having first appeared as Jacey Squire in FHT's production of The Music Man in 1991. Gonzalez has performed in a wide range of shows at Fountain Hills, including playing Paul in Company, Rooster in Annie, The Pirate King in Pirates of Penzance, Perchik in Fiddler on the Roof (twice) and Curly in Oklahoma  which earned him an AriZoni nomination. He also previously played.Joe Cable in South Pacific and this production of the Rodgers and Hammerstein classic will be his 32nd show on the stage at Fountain Hills. Alex also appeared last season at the Palms Theatre in both Annie Get Your Gun and Miracle on 34th Street and he took a break from preparing for South Pacific's opening night to sit down and answer some questions exclusively for PHX Stages.

Name: Alex Gonzalez Jr

Where you were born and or raised: I was born in Ajo Arizona and raised in Flagstaff Arizona

What made you decide to stay in or return to Arizona? I went into the airline business in 1982 and returned a year later to work with the start up airline America West Airlines and to be close to family.

What your parents did/do for a living: My parents moved us from Ajo to Flagstaff to attend Northern Arizona Univ where they both received teaching degrees. My father was a High School Asst. Principal and my mother was an Elementary School Libriarian. My father went to school first. I started kindergarten the same year.

Siblings: I have one sister Cyndi and one brother Ray. Both younger than me.

Family/Children: I'm single and never been married.

Day job/part time job: My part time day job is with a cleaning service. Also as a mover for a home service company.

Alex Gonzalez and Karissa Anderson
in South Pacific
Fountain Hills Theater
photo: Patty Torrilhon
First show you ever saw: My first theater production was the opera Carmen at NAU. I was suppose to be one of the children actors in the production but had to drop out so I ended up going to see it because my sister was in the production.  She was 10 years old. I was 11.

Moment you knew you wanted to perform for a living: I was working for the airlines for about 5 years and decided I missed performing. I went back to college, took a private voice class and even took a dance class. Three years later I was in my first Equity show...Damn Yankees with the late Musical Theatre of AZ at Gammage Auditorium. They even brought Ray Walston to play his original part.

The one performance you attended that you will never forget: The one performance I'll never forget was The Phantom of the Opera with Michael Crawford in Los Angeles the first year it was there. Several years later I performed in a production of Sound of Music at Phoenix Symphomy Hall with the Christine of that production Kristen Dale who played our Maria Von Trapp.

First stage kiss: Was in the production of The Gondoliers (my first lead) with Annie Pulito at Mesa Comm College.

Best stage experience you’ve had so far acting? Oh I've had so many. I think one of my favorites was successfully playing Curly in Oklahoma twice...21 years apart!

What has been the most fun or fulfilling aspect of your current/ most recent show? Now that I'm getting older there are fewer leading parts for me, I often get cast in a supporting part. With South Pacific, I get a chance to play a major lead again and prove to myself that I can still do it.

Most challenging role you have played onstage? I have two. Evita and Children of Eden. The characters I played in both were challenging because of vocal range. I was singing both Baritone and Tenor in both.

as Sitting Bull with David Simmons
Annie Get Your Gun, Palms Theater Jan 2015
Any upcoming or side projects you can talk about? Not yet!!!

What was the first show you performed in and what did you learn from it that you still use today? The Yeomen of the Guard. A Gilbert and Sullivan operetta. I had to play an old Yeomen Guard when I was only eighteen years old. I learned its fun playing someone that's NOT me!!!

Leading role you've been dying to play: Sky in Guys and Dolls

Leading role of the opposite sex you wish you could play: Adelaide in Guys and Dolls

Guilty pleasure show you’d love to perform in: Phantom in Phantom of the Opera (Andrew Lloyd Webber's)

Pre-show rituals or warm-ups: I don't eat before a performance. So I'm always hungry after a show!

Worst flubbed line/missed cue/onstage mishap: it should be how many? The one funny one situation I had was my character in I Do I Do (my first season with Fountain Hills Theater) I used the same pants from a scene in the 1st act that I used in the finale of the 2nd act. In the show my character goes from getting married to retirement. In the first act I ripped the zipper of these pants and didn't realize it till I was already on stage. Instead of fixing the zipper at intermission, I ad libbed a “broken zipper again” moment when I started the scene. My co-star broke into a Carol Burnett show laugh turned upstage in fear because she didn't know what to say then I went right back into the normal dialog after everyone stopped laughing.

Worst costume ever: my armored costume in Camelot. I could barely move...but it looked good

Best costume ever: The tuxedo I'm wearing now in South Pacific...it makes me look thin...Like the white coat I used in the dance contest scene in Grease when I played Danny Zuko.

Your go to audition monologue/song: I change monologues always, usually use one from a show I'm doing. My go to song is either "Almost Like Being in Love" from Brigadoon or something from Rodgers and Hammerstein

on the bottom right in Damn Yankees Musical Theater of AZ 1990
with Kevin McNally, Barb Lichtenstein, Jeff March
Billy Sanchez and Steven Goodfriend 
Worst audition experience: Damn Yankees MTA Michael Barnard directing. 5+ hour callback and everything I did felt like I never did it before. I still got cast!

If you could go back in time and catch any performer or show, what would they/it be? Howard Keel in the stage version of Seven Brides for Seven Brothers

Famous past stage or screen star(s) you would have loved to have performed with: Howard Keel. Almost did work with him one year in a production of Man of La Mancha but he got sick and had to drop out, but for 2 days I got to hear him sing "The Impossible Dream" right in front of me!!!

Actor/actress in the Phoenix area you'd love to perform with: Alaina Beauloye

Your personal acting idols: Clark Gable. Ginger Rogers

Performer you would drop everything to go see: They are all dead

Current/recent show other than one of your own you have been recommending to friends: Chicago at Phoenix Theater. Their Roxy Hart (Kate E. Cook) was Annie in a production of Annie that I was in with John Schuck and Joann Worley many years ago.

as the Rum Tum Tugger with Janine Smith
Cats -  Fountain Hills Theater Sep 2014
Favorite play(s): Can't Take it With You, Man who Came to Dinner, Boeing Boeing, Lend Me a Tenor and many others.

Favorite musical(s): Brigadoon, Phantom, Guys and Dolls, Oklahoma....too many to name.

Some favorite modern plays/musicals: Bleacher Bums

Favorite showtune(s) of all time: "Luck be a Lady"

Most listened song/music on your iPod/Phone? "Groove Line" by Heatwave

First CD/Tape/LP you owned: KC and the Sunshine Band's first album

Last good book you read: a used book about the Copper Mining history of Arizona

Must-see TV show(s): Royal Pains

Guilty pleasure binge watching tv show: NCIS, Two and a Half Men, Gunsmoke

Last good movie you saw: To Have or Have Not

Favorite movie: The Godfather I and II

Music/book/movie that makes you cry: Somewhere in Time

Favorite restaurant in the Valley: Arribas Mexican Grill

Favorite cities: LA, New York Toronto Canada

Sports teams you root for: All Phoenix Pro teams

Something about you that might surprise people: I'm of Mexican heritage but I'm not illegal. Ha!

Special skills: Amateur Chef

Career you would want if not a performer: own my own restaurant

w/ith Janine Smith
Miracle on 34th St. Palms Theater Dec 2014
Worst non-theatre job you've had: working in a travel agency

Best non-theatre job you've had: Airline supervisor

Three things you can't live without: my hair, my singing voice and my blood pressure meds

Words of advice for aspiring performers: learn to hear "NO" a lot

What you love most about theatre in Phoenix: it's a big huge dysfunctional family

What you think needs to be changed/improved/different about theatre in Phoenix: not liking the same shows being done at the same time.

And, the “Inside the Actors Studio” 10 questions:

1. What is your favorite word? slower
2. What is your least favorite word? slower
3. What turns you on? confidence
4. What turns you off? tailgaaters
5. What sound do you love? Ocean waves
6. What sound do you hate? Car horns
7. What is your favorite curse word? S%#@
8. What profession other than yours would you like to attempt? Psycho Therapist
9. What profession would you not like to do? mortician
10. If heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the pearly gates?
Close Call!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

In order to avoid spam, comments will be moderated. Anonymous comments no longer will be allowed. If your comment is from an actual person it will be approved and posted in a timely manner.