Friday, May 1, 2015

PHX Stage Q/A: Devon Nickel

He's currently playing ten different parts, both male and female, with a completely natural ease, in The Palms Theatre's hilarious production of Greater Tuna.  But that's understandable as actor Devon Nickel is use to playing a wide range of roles at many different theatres in town.  

In the last 18 months alone, he starred in the play 4,000 Miles at Actors Theatre and the musical Big River at Mesa Encore Theatre, but also played the comical puppet version of the deliciously evil Christian Grey in Nearly Naked/All Puppet Players 50 Shades of Felt, and had cameo roles in both One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and Jesus Christ Superstar at Desert Stages. 

He also won the Phoenix New Times Best Actor Award in 2013 for his starring turn in Equus at Nearly Naked, and in 2012 co-starred in Nearly Naked and Phoenix Theatre's Arizona premiere production of Spring Awakening and Stray Cat Theatre's punkplayPrior to these shows, he got his feet wet in several youth productions in town, including appearing in High School Musical and The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe at Greasepaint and Beauty and the Beast and Big at Desert Stages.  Devon took a break in his busy schedule to sit down and answer our questions...

Name: Devon Nickel

Where you were born and or raised: I was born in Arizona, but I moved to California before I could really remember. I lived there until I was in the second grade and have been living here ever since!

 What made you decide to return to Arizona? I returned to Arizona because I didn't really have a choice, hah. My parents divorced when I was two years old and my mom moved back to Arizona for work. My dad eventually came back  to Arizona for work as well, but he was still in California for a couple years after I moved back.
 
What your parents did/do for a living: Both of my parents are involved in the mortgage industry. Most of my family has had experience or is still involved in the mortgage industry.

Devon Nickel in Greater Tuna
The Palms Theatre - 2015
(photo: Toni Kallen)
Siblings: I have younger twin sisters on my moms side of the family. I also have a younger brother and sister on my dads side of the family.

Day job/part time job (if not acting full time): I have had a lot of different jobs through the years. I most recently quit my office job of two and a half years to make more time for my artistic outlets. Now I work mostly promotional events, theatre, product reviewing. I also find random work here and there through friends and friends of friends. With all of this combined I am able to support myself. The leap from 9 to 5 was rough, but I am happy with the transition so far.

First show you ever saw: The first show that I ever saw was when I was about 4 years old. It was the Jesus nativity scene and it was based out of this huge church in downtown L.A.. I will never forget how enamored I was by the whole experience. There were angels flying overhead and camels walking down the aisles, very elaborate. I remember how badly I wanted to be a part of that scene and how joyful I was to be there experiencing what I thought was the actual birth of Christ, hah.

Moment you knew you wanted to perform for a living: I have always wanted to perform for a living. When I was young I always had a dream of becoming some movie star, but I was always too shy to get up in front of people. It wasn't until I was seventeen that I finally mustered the courage to pursue what I had always wanted. I suppose those first couple of shows I had done really hit me hard, because since then, I cant get away from the stage.

First stage kiss: The first stage kiss I ever had was when I played Troy Bolton in Greasepaint Youth Theatres production of High School Musical... seems like forever ago haha.

Devon Nickel and Alan Craig in Greater Tuna
The Palms Theatre - 2015
(photo: Toni Kallen)
What has been the most fun or fulfilling aspect of your current/ most recent show? I would say the bonds I have made working on Greater Tuna are the most fulfilling aspect. Working with such a small group of people really allows you to get to know their personalities well. I also thought this was kind of key because we had such a short rehearsal process and both the other actor and director were from out of town, so luckly, getting to know them was easy. It felt like J.R. Stuart, Alan Craig, and I had been working with each other for years! I also just recently reprised my role as Christian Grey in All Puppet Players production of Fifty Shades of Felt. I had a blast bringing that character back to life! My favorite aspect this time around was that I had more time to play and figure out Christian from a comedic stand point. The first time we did this I was so focused on the puppetry that I feel I didn't get to make every moment shape the way I had wanted it too. Now that I'm fully comfortable and confident I feel like I really got the chance to do some more exploring.


Devon Nickel, kneeing, in Equus
Nearly Naked Theatre - 2013
(photo: Laura Durant)
Most challenging role you have played onstage: I would say that the most challenging role I have had to play so far has been Alan Strang in Equus. There are so many dimensions to his character and it took a ton of exploring to get that level of commitment. I'll admit that when I first dove into the character there was a part of me that was thinking "what the hell are you doing?", but I do love a good challenge :)
     
Any upcoming or side projects you can talk about? I recently filmed a pilot for a web based show called The Tempest. Its a Sci-Fi action/drama that should be coming out pretty soon! It's also chalk full of other Valley talent and I cant wait for everyone to see it. Keep an eye out for it via Youtube and Facebook.

Pre-show rituals or warm-ups: I always  stretch and pray before every show. Its kind of funny because I'm not religious and I'm not really praying to anything specific. It just gives me some sort of comfort I suppose.

Worst flubbed line/missed cue/onstage mishap: When I was in the seventh grade I had a solo in my school choir concert. My friends came and sat in the front row the night of the concert and when it was time for my solo they started making faces. I couldn't help but laugh through my entire song and just walked back to my place within the choir. It took a long time to live that down with my family and friends, hah. My grandmother stopped filming... she had filmed the whole show and just dropped the camera as soon as she saw me crash and burn.

Your personal acting idols: Some of my personal idols are Bill Murray and Jim Carry
               
Performer you would drop everything to go see: Nicolas Jaar. He has nothing to do with theatre, but I think his music is awesome!

Current/recent show other than one of your own you have been recommending
to friends:  It isn't playing anymore, but I absolutely loved The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane at Childsplay. It was an absolutely beautiful show that I recommend everyone eventually see. I couldn't stop talking about how wonderful that show was after I had finally seen it.

Favorite play(s): A Devil Inside, The Pillowman, Dog Sees God. That's to name a few. Its hard to say...
     
Devon Nickel & Maxx Schau in Spring Awakening
Phoenix Theatre/Nearly Naked Theatre - 2012
(Photo by Jerry O’Conner)
Favorite musical(s):  Spring Awakening, The Last Five Years, Anything William Finn. Its hard to say...

Most listened song/music on your iPod/Phone? I listen to a lot of different tunes. Mostly indie music and different genres of Electronic music, although I also listen to a lot of classical music. My favorite being Chopin. It relaxes me and takes me to another place.

First CD/Tape/LP you owned:  The first CD's I bought were Sugar Ray 14:15 and Blink 182 Take Off Your Pants and Jacket. I bought them together when I was in the fifth grade.

Must-see TV show(s): Game of Thrones!! I have also been watching a ton of Parks and Recreation lately. I suggest both of those, but there's so many other good shows out there!

Guilty pleasure binge watching tv show: My roommate and I binged watched the British Skins... It was awesome.

Last good movie you saw: I just watched American Beauty the other day. I hadn't seen it in so long and it was so good!!

Favorite movie: The Life Aquatic of Steve Zissou. It is a dream of mine to one day work with Wes Anderson!

Music/book/movie that makes you cry: I'm kind of a sucker when it comes to this, but nothing makes me cry like live theatre.


Marcus Terrell Smith and Devon Nickel in Big River
Mesa Encore Theatre - 2014
(photo: Sarah Rodgers)
Favorite restaurant in the Valley: This is tough to decide because there is a ton of good food here but if I had to narrow it down to three I would say The Parlor, Welcome Diner, and The Pig and Pickle.

Favorite cities: New York, Berlin, and L.A.

Sports teams you root for: The Dallas Cowboys!! Go ahead, hate me!!

Something about you that might surprise people: I'm really good at cooking!! Seriously, we should pot luck...

Special skills: I play guitar, does that count?? I'm also pretty acrobatic.. like a monkey.

Career you would want if not a performer: I would love to work in archaeology or the video game development industry. I have always been fascinated with history and I love, love, LOVE to game!!  

Worst non-theatre job you've had: Working at Gelato Spot. Slinging frozen desserts suuuuucks!!

Best non-theatre job you've had: Working at Nova Home Loans. Office jobs are cushy!!

Three things you can't live without: Art, Family, and Friends
   
Words of advice for aspiring performers: Love what you do, for every moment is fleeting. You are blessed to create.

What you love most about theatre in Phoenix: I love the people who make all of the magic happen on and off stage. Our pool of talent is wonderfully diverse and extraordinary. I truly feel blessed to work with so many talented performers, directors, technicians, and designers. The Phoenix theatre scene is constantly surprising and impressing me and I am very lucky to get to be a part of it. I absolutely love getting to watch the theatre culture grow and thrive here in Phoenix.

Devon Nickel and Patti Davis Suarez in 4,000 Miles
Actors Theatre Company- 2014
(photo: John Groseclose)
What you think needs to be changed/improved/different about theatre in Phoenix: I would love if there were more funding to the arts. That would only skyrocket what we could do in Arizona. I would also love if we could pay everyone : )

And, the “Inside the Actors Studio” 10 questions:
1. What is your favorite word? Woot!

2. What is your least favorite word? Failure

3. What turns you on? Talent

4. What turns you off? Negative/Nasty people

5. What sound do you love? The sound of the fan twirling through the night

6. What sound do you hate? The alarm screeching in the morning

7. What is your favorite curse word? Fuck... I mean, fuck.

8. What profession other than yours would you like to attempt? Game Designer

9. What profession would you not like to do? I would hate to be the President

10. If heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the pearly gates? What in the HELL are you doing here?!?! yuuup... cheezy

No comments:

Post a Comment

In order to avoid spam, comments will be moderated. Anonymous comments no longer will be allowed. If your comment is from an actual person it will be approved and posted in a timely manner.