Thursday, January 8, 2015

PHX STAGES Q/A with Matthew Harris


Matthew Harris is the quintessential character actor who is able to play just about any part with ease. He also seems to never stop working. In just the past year he's had lead roles in Forum and Anything Goes at Desert Foothills and, at Hale, a meaty supporting role in Phantom and ensemble parts in both Footloose and 9 to 5.  He is so good at becoming the individual characters that most theatre goers would be shocked to find it's the same man playing all these roles. Next up for Harris: starring as "Edna" in Desert Foothills' Hairspray that opens this weekend.

Name: Matthew R. Harris

Where you were born and or raised: I was born here in Arizona the 27th of March 1979. In Glendale as a matter of fact to my loving, yet sometimes crazy parents Terry and Tina. I've never lived anywhere else. A change of scenery had been discussed, but nothing came of it.

What made you decide to stay in Arizona? I have alot of family, friends and memories here, plus moving across state lines, job hunting, and a roof over your head can really take it's toll. Just not prepared to leave yet.

 What your parents did/do for a living: My father is on disability due to health issues, before that he worked with machines making parts, and drafting. My mother works in the medical records field at Midwestern University.

Siblings: I was to have an older brother Neil, but he was stillborn, he would have been 37 years old.  

Family/Children: I have no children myself at this time, but that's not to say I wouldn't want to have a child or two of my own someday. My mom jokes with me about giving her grandchildren, which I reply it's physically impossible for me to do so, but my boyfriend and I will keep trying.

with Kat Bailes in Desert Foothills Theater's Anything Goes, 2014
(photo courtesy of Tiffany Bolock / DFT)
Day job/part time job (if not acting full time): I am a Store Lead at The Phoenix Zoo which is contracted through Event Network based out of San Diego, they operate gift shops for aquariums, museums, science centers, botanical gardens, and other highly regarded cultural attractions. I've been with the company for 8 years.
     
First show you ever saw:  It was Sesame Street Live at the State Fair. I'm sure the program is still somewhere in my father's house.

Moment you knew you wanted to perform for a living: I was in preschool, and took part in the Christmas Pageant. I played one of the Three Wise Men, with a foil covered Burger King crown, and a  brown beard painted on with fingerpaint presenting the gift of Gold. I just remember looking out and seeing the smiles on the crowd, and hearing the applause and loving how it made me feel something special, even though I had no idea what that really was at the time. That feeling still hasn't gone away to this day.

A Devil Inside - Nearly Naked Theatre, 2013
(photo by Laura Durant)
The one performance you attended that you will never forget: I believe I would have to say when I saw Angels in America part one and two at The Herberger. It was done so beautifully, and the talent was so amazing. I ended up seeing it 3 times.

First stage kiss: The Gift of The Magi my junior year in high school. I played Jim, who sold his watch to purchase his wife Della combs for her hair. By the end of the show we realized how far we were willing to go to show our love for one another. We were standing at the window watching the snow fall and kissed as the lights dimmed down leaving only our silhouettes. Many more stage kisses to follow after that.

Best stage experience you’ve had so far: I don't think I can narrow it down to just one. I've been very blessed to have worked with amazing directors, choreographers, cast mates, and crew throughout the valley.

Hairspray - Desert Foothills 2015
with Lily Castle (photo by Wade Moran)
What has been the most fun or fulfilling aspect of your current/ most recent show? I'm currently in rehearsals for Edna Turnblad in Hairspray at Desert Foothills Theatre, and it's been a dream role of mine for awhile. I loved the John Waters movie when I was growing up and played the soundtrack on a loop til I wore it out. I'm glad to be under the direction of Chris Hamby, whom I had the pleasure of working with together just once many, many years ago. Working with Paul Pederson, and Kat Bailes whom I both adore. And getting to work with these amazing adults teens they have cast, Lily Castle who plays Tracy, her talent just blows my mind!!!

Most challenging role you have played onstage: I think when I played Rudy in Bent by  Martin Sherman. Towards the end of Act one I had to be dragged offstage by Nazi soldiers and screamed out in pain as I was beaten, then I was dragged back onstage covered in blood and barely conscious, I was thrown down onto the ground and spent the rest of the scene gasp for air and reaching for my lover in the show but he couldn't do anything but cry on the other side of the stage. The next morning in the play, I layed still and a Nazi officer came over to my lifeless body, kicked me in the side and said "Dead," and Blackout. Intermission. My mother and father looked away during the scene in tears because they couldn't bring themselves to see me like that. It was too much for them.  
     
with Mary Jane McCloskey in Phantom at Hale Centre Theatre 2014
(photo courtesy Nick Woodward- Shaw /Hale Centre Theatre)
Any upcoming or side projects you can talk about? Well Hairspray in January, and then Dreamgirls in Febuary at Desert Foothills

Leading role you've been dying to play:  Seymour in Little Shop of Horrors. Prior, Louis, or Joe in Angels in America.  

Leading role of the opposite sex you wish you could play: The Chaperone in The Drowsey Chaperone

Preshow rituals/warm ups: I like to put on some music and just groove while I get ready.

Worst flubbed line/missed cue/onstage mishap: Mishap, I was doing Footloose at Hale Center Theatre, and it was closing night during the Council scene towards the end of the show, and chaos is happening and the actress playing Elenore stood up to regain order, and when she screamed "order!", I happened to look over at her and the way she looked at that moment caused me to start the giggles, to which I could not get under control, which caused the audience to laugh in good spirits, which caused more laughing which now included the cast, and it continued even after the scene ended and we walked off stage in blackout. Normally I'm very good about not breaking on stage, there was just something about that moment.
       
Worst costume ever: Cagelle costumes in La Cage aux Folles at North Valley Playhouse. There was a lot of poor planning and the costumer as hard as they tried, had no idea how to dress drag queens.

Beauty and the Beast 2006 with Amber Gildersleeve
(photo by Jessica Frieling)
Best costume ever: Lumiere in Beauty and The Beast. Both my Enchanted and Human costumes were Fantastic!!!  

Worst audition experience: I went out for My Favorite Year at Theatre Works. I can't read sheet music, and I decided to pick a song that I have never rehearsed, or sang before in my life 5 minutes before I went in to audition. It was in the wrong key, and I wasn't as familiar with the words as I thought I was. I still got cast in the show in the ensemble, but I learned my lesson.
     
Famous past stage or screen star(s) you would have loved to have performed with: Gene Kelly, Ginger Rogers, Lucille Ball

Into The Woods Desert Stages Theatre 2012
with Marissa Liguori Vatsky
(photo by Heather Butcher)
If you could go back in time and catch any performer or show, what would they/it be? Emily Skinner/Alice Ripley in Side Show, Harvey Fierstien in Torch Song Trilogy, Sarah Brightman and Michael Crawford in Phantom of The Opera.        
Actor/actress in the Phoenix area you'd love to perform with: Maren Maclean, Terry Gadaire

Your personal acting idols: Nathan Lane, Robin Williams, Kevin Spacey, Carol Burnett, Rosalind Russell, Donald O'Conner, Bette Davis, Joan Crawford.
               
Performer you would drop everything to go see:  Wow...That's a BIG list. Let's just leave it at that.

Current/recent show other than one of your own you have been recommending
to friends:  Mary Poppins, such amazing talent in one show!

Favorite play(s): Noises Off, Deathtrap, Angels in America, Vampire Lesbians of Sodom  
     
Favorite musical(s): Forum, La Cage aux FollesTitanic, Side Show
   
Some favorite modern plays/musicals: Spamalot, If/Then

Cinderella: A Dragtime Musical
Desert Stages 2011
(photo: Heather Butcher)
Favorite showtune(s) of all time: Jeez..."Come look at the freaks" Side Show, "Barret song" Titanic, "What is it about Her?" and "Make Me Happy" The Wild Party... just to name a few.

Most listened song/music on your iPod/Phone? I'm all over the radar with music I listen to, Indie, pop, 80's...etc.

First CD/Tape/LP you owned: The movie soundtrack to Little Shop of Horrors. I bought it myself and played it all the time and did the choreography with it too.  

Last good book you read: Light Before Day by Christopher Rice    

Must-see TV show(s): The Walking Dead, American Horror StoryConstantine

Guilty pleasure binge watching tv show: Supernatural, Ugly Betty, Desperate Houswives, CSI:Vegas, Murder She Wrote.


Last good movie you saw: It was a documentry called "I am Divine"

Favorite movie: Stage Door with Ginger Rogers, Eve Arden, Katherine Hepburn.

Music/book/movie that makes you cry: Steel Magnolias...every single time!!!

Favorite restaurant in the Valley: Ok can't pick just one, gotta have options. Mexican food : El Encanto, Macayos, Pedros, Italian food: Submarinos, or The Old Spaghetti Factory, Fired Pie, Pizza Hut. Steakhouse: Black Angus or The Stockyards. Buffet: Sweet Tomatoes and Lim's.  

with Doug Edwards in A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum - Desert Foothills Theater 2014
(photo courtesy of Kyle C. Greene / DFT)
Special skills:  Dialects, Timing, and I can walk in heels.

Career you would want if not a performer:  CSI, I love the process they go through to get to the truth.

Worst non-theatre job you've had : Waiting Tables......never again lol

Best non-theatre job you've had : Working in Medical Records

Three things you can't live without: Love, Laughter, and oh I guess oxygen
   
with Chanel Bragg in Desert Stages The Wiz, 2009
(Photo: Heather Butcher)
Words of advice for aspiring performers: If we are at the same audition for the same role...please leave...lol j/k! I would have to say don't sell yourself short, give your all no matter what, because the people behind the table watching you can tell if you are giving it a 100% or if you are just phoning it in.

What you love most about theatre in Phoenix: There is so much of it to see, from every corner of town. Cave Creek, Gilbert, Scottsdale, Glendale, Peoria, Sun City. Always somewhere you can see local theatre.

What you think needs to be changed/improved/different about theatre in Phoenix: Theatres should talk to each other so that not everyone is doing the same show back to back to back. More Variety, don't be afraid to experiment with unknown works. Just because it's not Oklahoma, doesn't mean it's not great.

And, the “Inside the Actors Studio” 10 questions:

1. What is your favorite word? Fanscadalous

2. What is your least favorite word? Pustule

3. What turns you on? sense of humor

4. What turns you off? closed minded people

5. What sound do you love? applause or laughter

6. What sound do you hate? children crying/screaming

7. What is your favorite curse word? doucheknuckle....mostly use it during rush hour lol

8. What profession other than yours would you like to attempt? Crime Solver

9. What profession would you not like to do? Sanitation

10. If heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the pearly gates? We were very worried, you just made it by the skin of your teeth. lol



No comments:

Post a Comment

In order to avoid spam, comments will be moderated. Anonymous comments no longer will be allowed. If your comment is from an actual person it will be approved and posted in a timely manner.